The following briefly explains how points are allocated for some key features.
- Proper laboratory space: 1 point for having a laboratory room with sink and benchtops; 1 point for separate rooms for micro and chemical analysis or room big enough for clear distinction of micro and chemical working areas; 1 point for air con.
- Basic equipment includes incubator, distiller, autoclave/oven for sterilising, bacterial analysis units, residual chlorine meter, pH meter, conductivity meter, glassware etc.
- Staff knowledge includes relevant qualification, data interpretation skills, proper sample collection/preservation skills, certification etc
- Data storage: hard copy (on paper worksheets), on excel spreadsheets, electronic database.
- Funding deals with the labs commitment to allocate funds for regular analysis/monitoring to be done, maintaining or having adequate lab staff to do job properly and not be overloaded.